- "I would rather see the portrait of a dog that I know, than all the allegorical paintings they can show me in the world."
- Samuel Johnson
- "When you feel dog tired at night, it may be because you've growled all day long."
- "A really companionable and indispensable dog is an accident of nature. You can't get it by breeding for it, and you can't buy it with money. It just happens along."
- E B White, The Care and Training of a Dog
- "Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on."
- "I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better."
- George Bird Evans, "Troubles with Bird Dogs"
- "Even the tiniest Poodle or Chihuahua is still a wolf at heart."
- Dorothy Hinshaw Patent, Dogs: The Wolf Within
- "If dogs could talk it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one."
- Andy Rooney
- "They [dogs] never talk about themselves but listen to you while you talk about yourself, and keep up an appearance of being interested in the conversation."
- Jerome K. Jerome
- "When a dog wags her tail and barks at the same time, how do you know which end to believe?"
- "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy and a child, or else there will be no profit in boarding a Newfoundland."
- Josh Billings
- "Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane."
- Smiley Blanton
- "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts."
- John Steinbeck
- "What kind of life a dog . . . acquires. I have sometimes tried to imagine by kneeling or lying full length on the ground and looking up. The world then becomes strangely incomplete; one sees little but legs."
- E V Lucas
- "You may have a dog that won't sit up, roll over or even cook breakfast, not because she's too stupid to learn how but because she's too smart to bother."
- Rick Horowitz, Chicago Tribune
- "My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
- Rita Rudner
Dog Quotes Page 3
It All Adds Up
© 2001 - present. Australian Media Pty Ltd. All Rights Reserved.