- "When a man's best friend is his dog, that dog has a problem."
- Edward Abbey
- "The old saw about old dogs and new tricks only applies to certain people."
- Daniel Pinkwater 'Train Your Dog, Dammit!'
- "A dog, I will maintain, is a very tolerable judge of beauty, as appears from the fact that any liberally educated dog does, in a general way, prefer a woman to a man."
- Frances Thompson New York Times Magazine May 14, 1967
- "In a dog-eat-dog world, it is the dogmatic domain of dog lovers to offer dogdom a dog's chance to rise above the dog days for a doggone good time."
- AKC Gazette August 1991
- "I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult."
- Rita Rudner
- "A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such."
- John Holmes
- "Dogs, the foremost snobs in creation, are quick to notice the difference between a well-clad and a disreputable stranger."
- Albert Payson Terhune 'The Coming of Lad'
- "Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun!"
- Groucho Marx
- "In the world which we know, among the different and primitive geniuses that preside over the evolution of the several species, there exists not one, excepting that of the dog, that ever gave a thought to the presence of man."
- Maurice Maeterlinck 'Our Friend, The Dog'
- "Recollect that the Almighty, who gave the dog to be companion of our pleasures and our toils, hath invested him with a nature noble and incapable of deceit."
- Sir Walter Scott 'The Talisman'
- "The dog is man's best friend.
He has a tail on one end.
Up in front he has teeth.
And four legs underneath."
- Ogden Nash 'An Introduction to Dogs'
- "The nose of the Bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go."
- Winston Churchill
- "If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!"
- "A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog."
- Jack London
- "If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. The free mind is not barking dog, to be tethered on a ten-foot chain."
- Adlai E Stevenson Jr.
Dog Quotes Page 11
It All Adds Up
© 2001 - present. Australian Media Pty Ltd. All Rights Reserved.